All currently available positions with CUI will be posted here. If you are interested in applying for a position, please send us an email stating the position you are applying for. Please include your resume, cover letter and three references.
We only accept applications for current employment opportunities; however, please check back often for new available positions.
CUI is a fast-growing utility company in Chestermere.
Our Vision: A leader in stewardship through the innovative delivery of essential services in Alberta.
Our Mission: A trusted community partner stewarding precious resources and delivering safe, efficient utility solutions – everyday.
- We make sure everyone is able to get from home to work and back safely
- Responsible to the shareholder, community, environment
- Every single team member is dedicated to a thoughtful/meaningful customer experience
- We are collaborative – with our industry, community, peers and staff
- We are innovative – we make big things happen
- We do the right thing
We are currently recruiting for an EHS Operations Manager.
Reporting to the Chief Executive Officer (CEO), the EH&S Operations Manager is accountable for ensuring the consistent high-functioning of CUI’s solid waste management operations and supporting CUI in the management of Environmental, Health and Safety (EH&S). Specifically, the position is responsible for:
- Collaboratively liaising with internal and external stakeholders to support CUI in managing operational risk and achieving a zero-injury culture; and
- Planning, organizing and directing of CUI’s curbside collection programs, recycle depot and ensuring compliance with Chestermere’s Waste Management Bylaw(s).
- Collaborate with the CEO in defining the strategy and key goals for the operations and growth of CUI’s solid waste operations.
- Design and implement solid waste management policies, procedures, systems and templates, promoting high standards of operational performance and compliance with all relevant regulations.
- Recommend a framework for monitoring and assessing the execution of short, medium and long term EH&S strategies by the Organization.
- Provide leadership and day-to-day direction to the Solid Waste team, ensuring clarity of expectations, effective performance management and ongoing communication.
- Interpreting applicable EH&S legislation and the development of CUI’s EH&S procedures and performance measures to ensure compliance.
- Ensure curbside collection and recycle depot services are provided in a safe and cost effective manner including the identification of alternatives for the provision of service and the management of third part contract providers.
- Liaise with industry, community and general public to enhance awareness of and increase support for CUI waste management and diversion programs.
- Implement review / audit / reporting strategies to ensure high levels of system compliance with Waste Management Bylaw and policies.
- Manage various operating assets and schedule all maintenance work per specifications, budgets and strategic requirements.
- Develop, maintain and test readiness of CUIs Emergency Response & Disaster Recovery Plan, and effectively testing and executing the plan against potential real-life situations (tabletop, ICS).
- Manage injury and accident reporting.
- Assure the implementation of annual EHS compliance goals and targets for all levels.
- Compile a budget for waste operations, CUI safety program and apply financial management principles and able to prepare financial projects for area of responsibility.
- Prepare and evaluate tenders for Capital and purchases (materials, equipment and services) and projects supporting the delivery of the solid waste management programs.
- Post-secondary education; diploma or degree with a concentration in municipal operations, engineering, horticultural and environmental, health and safety sciences or another relevant field.
- A professional designation such as (CRSP, CHSO or CHSC) would be an asset
- Minimum 15 years experience in progressively more responsible roles performing similar duties.
- Knowledge of the Alberta OH&S Act, regulations, and industry best practices.
- Demonstrated capability in working with Contractor Project Safety Management systems.
- Management/governance of Partners in Health and Safety Certificate of Recognition (COR), OHSAS 18001 management systems.
Competencies & Attributes:
- Demonstrated expertise in developing and implementing innovative solid waste diversion and EH&S programs.
- Able to interpret financial statements and management information and deduce the right conclusion and recommendations for the given information, including reporting.
- Knowledge of contractual requirements, rights and obligations relevant to Solid Waste and EH&S operations
- Able to take action to ensure CUI complies with contractual requirements and liaise with various professionals in the legal field.
- Results focused, with a track record of working collaboratively with other team members and stakeholders to achieve common goals.
- Tolerance for managing stress.
- Demonstrates assertiveness when appropriate.
- Flexibility for occasional travel to CUI sites or events, as required.
- May be required to work outside of regular business hours as business levels dictate.
HOW TO APPLY
Please submit your cover letter and resume as one attachment by Friday, August 11, 2017 to:
Attn: Pauline Greenidge
Note: Please put EHS Operations Manager in your e-mail subject line.
We are currently recruiting for an experienced Storm Water Operator to join our team.
Reporting directly to the Director of Water Services, the Storm Water Operator provides effective operations of the storm drainage system within the City of Chestermere. The Storm Water Operator will be responsible for the maintenance of all Storm Water infrastructure owned by CUI. Handling the day to day tasks related to the storm systems, working with contractors, prioritizing the needs based on data collected and knowledge of the system. This role requires a high level of organization skills, flexibility, communication, professionalism and attention to detail.
If this sounds like you, then we look forward to hearing from you!
- Ensure adherence to CUI’s Safety Policies including work conducted by maintenance workers and/or construction crews employed by Chestermere Utilities Corporation.
- Provide effective operations of the storm drainage system by cleaning out catch basins and swales
- Prioritize the needs that will be required to ensure a proper functioning storm system.
- Address issues related to storm water discharge and drainage.
- Plan and implement maintenance schedules.
- Ensure operation of equipment by completing preventive maintenance requirements; following manufacturer’s instructions; troubleshooting malfunctions; calling for repairs; maintaining equipment, evaluating new equipment and techniques.
- Responsible to assist with the reporting to regulatory agencies where required by law.
- Provide direction and technical support for repairs to the Storm Water System to contractors and maintenance crews.
- Support effective management of the work, by reading, and keeping up on current legislation.
- Maintains professional and technical knowledge by attending educational workshops, seminars and training sessions as well as reviewing professional publications, establishing personal networks and participating in professional societies.
- Maintain documentation of activities, schedule operation and maintenance activities.
- Collect data for historical reference and effective budgeting.
- Communicate effectively with supervisors, colleagues, contractors and maintenance crews.
- Strong desire and demonstrated ability to be part of an effective team.
- Part of on call rotation.
- Holds a class 5 license.
- A 3Q license would be an asset.
- Has a clean driving record and criminal record check.
- Is trained in First Aid or willing to obtain it within the first 2 months.
- Knowledge of various equipment operation such as vac-trucks, backhoes, loaders, skid steers, e-vacs and pumps.
- Basic understanding of stormwater systems including catch basins, sewers, manholes and storm ponds.
- Basic computer knowledge.
- Works with other departments to develop and implement work strategies and plans.
Location and work hours:
The work will be managed out of the CUI offices in Chestermere and will mainly include time spent outdoors inspecting the stormwater system.
Traditional core office hours are Monday to Friday 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Irregular working hours may be required based on daily activities. On-call duties may occur regularly.
Terms and reporting:
This a full-time position and will report directly to the Director of Water Services.
HOW TO APPLY:
Please submit your cover letter and resume as one attachment by Friday, August 25, 2017 to:
Attn: Pauline Greenidge
Note: Please put Storm Water Operator in your e-mail subject line.
We are currently recruiting for a Solid Waste Operator to join our team.
Reporting to the Manager, Environment, Health, Safety & Operations, the Solid Waste Operator will assist CUI with the day-to-day operations in the recycling, organic and solid waste collections. The successful candidate must have a strong work ethic, a demonstrated commitment to working safely and a desire to provide outstanding customer service. They are a team player, an effective communicator, physically fit (lifting up to 75 lbs. and have the ability to stand for long periods of time) and perform repetitive tasks.
Duties will include but will not be limited to:
- Ensuring safe operations of a truck while completing daily residential curbside collection in an urban environment;
- Creating customer satisfaction through reliable service (e.g., arrive on schedule, pick-up all bins, clean up waste that falls out of bin when lifting, relock/reclose bins);
- Ensuring the overall cleanliness of trucks and completing preventative maintenance;
- Assisting in all aspects of the day-to-day operations of the Recycling Depot;
- Deliveries and repairs of recycle and compost carts; and
- Tracking and documenting activities.
- Grade 12 Diploma or equivalent
- Valid Class 3 License with a “Q” endorsement
- Standard First Aid and CPR Level “C” certificates
- Two (2) years operating heavy equipment
- Solid waste management experience considered an asset.
- Interested candidates must be willing to work flexible hours, and will be part of the on-call rotation for emergency situations.
HOW TO APPLY
Please submit your cover letter and resume as one attachment by Monday, August 28, 2017 to:
Attn: Pauline Greenidge
Note: Please put Solid Waste Operator in your e-mail subject line.
We thank all applicants for their interest in positions at CUI, however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.