CUI is committed to recycling as many materials as possible to keep them out of our landfills.
Residents of Chestermere can dispose of recycling material that does not fit into their blue cart, at the recycle depot. The depot also accepts a wide variety of items that can’t go in the residential blue carts including electronics, tires, paints and some small appliances. .
The recycle depot is for the use of Chestermere residential customers only. Non-Chestermere residents and commercial operators (e.g. landscaping companies) will be denied access.
Recyle Depot Location & Hours of Operation
281107 Township Road 243, at the City’s Public Works site.
(East of Highway One on Chestermere Boulevard, right beside the old waterslides)
Hours of Operation
Tuesday to Friday: 8:00 a.m. – 7:00 p.m.
Saturday & Sunday: 8:00 a.m. – 4:00 p.m.
Closed on Mondays, and on December 25 and January 1.
Click here to view a map of our locations.
Chestermere’s recycle depot has been designed to service our community of approximately 20,000 residents in the most efficient and cost-effective manner. Closure of the facility on Mondays allows our operators time to empty the bins and clean up the area, reducing the public’s exposure to operational risks. A fence has been installed to enhance site security. These changes help reduce illegal dumping which continues to be a major issue. Illegal dumping refers to the improper discarding of waste which is not accepted at the depot; as well as accepted waste types being placed in areas where it does not belong. Acceptable and non-acceptable items are listed below.
Please take steps to ensure waste is disposed of properly. Acceptable waste types should be disposed of in the appropriate depot areas. When waste is placed in areas where it does not belong, or when waste is discarded at the depot which is not on the acceptable items list, operational costs increase as staff need to collect and then properly dispose of the materials.
For safety reasons, CUI does not permit scavenging (waste picking) at the recycle depot.
What is Accepted at the Recycle Depot?
The following items are accepted for recycling at the CUI Recycle Depot:
- Clean Glass Jars and Bottles
- Small Appliances – coffee makers, toasters
- USED Cooking Oil
- Batteries (from AAA to car batteries and all sizes in between)
- Clothing (donation bins located on site) – All donated clothing goes to Clothing for a Cause
- Tires and Rims
- Mixed Paper
- Plastics with the Recycling Triangle numbered 1–7
- Residential Compostable Items (Organics)
- Yard Waste (such as grass clippings, leaves, flowers).
- green bin contents
- NOTE: items must be in a compostable bag.
- Cell phones, smart phones, pagers
- Related phone accessories, including chargers, plugs, etc.
- Telephones and related equipment
- Networking equipment
- VCR/DVD/CD players
- Home theater systems
- Cable/Satellite receivers
- Video game consoles
- Electronic Wire
- Eligible Paints – 100mL to 24 Litres
- Interior & exterior latex and alkyd (oil based) paints
- Porch, floor and deck paints
- Interior and exterior varnishes and urethanes
- Primers, undercoats and water repellant sealers
- Wood finishing oils and stains
- Non-catalyzed and non nitrocellulose lacquers
- Rust and decorative metal paints
- Concrete and driveway (non-tar based) paints
- Tree marking paint
- Fence and barn paint
- Empty paint cans and pails
- Paint aerosols
- Marine paint (must not contain pesticides).
Branches are only accepted at the recycle depot in April and May. The City of Chestermere provides a seasonal bin to collect branches that will be chipped into mulch and provided free of charge to Chestermere residents.
If you are unsure how to dispose of an item, check out our online tool Sorting Central to find out what goes where.
The Recycle Depot DOES NOT accept
- Couches, sofas / furniture
- Branches (except in April and May when a seasonal bin is provided)
- Construction and demolition materials
- Motor Oil
- Old Gas
- Automobile parts
- Pressurized tanks of any kind (propane tanks, fire extinguishers)
- Polystyrene (Styrofoam)
- Freon Units (fridges, freezers, air conditioners, water coolers)
- Large appliances (such as stoves, dishwashers, washing machines)
- Asbestos waste
- Medical waste
Many of these items, including household hazardous waste, can be taken to the East Calgary Landfill (3801 – 68 Street SE) where they can be disposed of safely. Disposal fees may apply. Additional information on how to dispose of items not accepted at the Recycle Depot can be obtained from Alberta’s Recycling Hotline.
What is the fee for using the Recycle Depot & what else can I take there?
Each residential CUI account owner in Chestermere pays a flat monthly recycle depot fee. The current fee can be found on our rates page. Please refer to Sorting Central for assistance on how to properly dispose of items.